Thursday, September 19, 2013

Side-tracked in the Hills

It's been a while since I've been able to get on here, but I wanted to finish sharing my War Eagle Mill day-trip experience.  If you know me, you know that I'm definitely a poster child for A.D.D., and am often distracted by what I see as we drive through the countryside.  This can lead to a number of detours along the way.  It's so easy for me to get side-tracked in the hills, because there's SO much to see there!

We were headed away from the Mill, when I saw a little 'house' stuck to the side of a tree at a 'Y' in the road.  I thought about it long enough to tell my husband that I thought it had books in it, and how it would be neat to see if it was what I thought it was.  So, a few more yards down the road, as I pondered the box out loud - much to my husbands amusement (and most likely annoyance) - my husband glanced at me and asked the question he already knew the answer to. 

Hubby:  "Do you want me to turn around so you can go see it?" 
(He knows I do.)
Me:  "No, it's okay.  There's really no good place to turn around here." 
(Yes - I do.)
Hubby:  "I can turn around right up here if you want to check it out." 
(He knows I want to - badly.)
Me:  "No.  It's not that important.  Just go on." 
(It's getting to me - I want to see it.)
Hubby:  "But you want to go see it, don't you?" 
(Oh how he knows me too well.)
Me:  "Kind of.  But I don't have to." 
(Well of course I want do!  And now I think I have to.)
Hubby:  "But you want to.  You want to touch it, don't you?" 
(At this point he's making fun of me.)
Me:  "Yeah.  I do.  Is it okay?" 
I'm all giddy with excitement by now and can hardly sit still.)
Hubby:  "Of course it's okay!  Turning now!"
(Insert sheepish grin here because he knew he was going to have to turn around anyway and wanted to see how antsy I'd get.)
Me:  "Oh thank you-thank you-thank you-thank you!" 
(I'm literally bouncing in my seat at this point.)

As he pulled far enough off the road to be safe, he waited in the car as I jumped out to see the little house.  At first glance from the car, all I could see was the sign that said "City of War Eagle Public Library".  I knew that the little house couldn't be the actual public library, when it dawned on me that it must be on of the "Little Free Library" houses I'd read about long ago. 

This may not excite you, but I'm an avid book lover, so the thought of a convenient place for people to share that same love is really cool to me.  As I mentioned, I'd read about the "Little Free Library" program before, and thought it was a clever idea, with people sharing books for free, all being exchanged through a clever little mini lending library.

Isn't it cute?!



If you are interested in finding out more about the "Little Free Library" program, you can read more about it at their website:  littlefreelibrary.org.

Traveling with me must be exhausting for my husband!  Ha!  But bless his heart, my wonderful hubby made me happy with that little side-track adventure.  Brownie points for him, and pure delight for me!

Now go enjoy a book!







No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!