Sunday, January 4, 2015

Christmas Porch Display

I know Christmas is already over, but I wanted to share the craft project I did for our front porch display this Christmas.  And...perhaps get your opinion.

After searching through a common internet site that lets you "pin" things of "interest" (you know the one), I decided I wanted one of those signs that was so popular as well as a sled with the old ice skates hanging off of it.  A wonderful couple had a legitimate antique sled they sold me for a reasonable price that worked perfectly for what I needed.  Although, living in the South has its drawbacks and I was unable to find an old pair of ice skates.  So I put my own little twist on the display.

While I wanted to use one big board, my husband suggested I let him put together some privacy fence pickets to look a little more unique.  He also sanded, sealed and painted them an off-white color for me.  Free help?  Love it!



After printing out the letters I wanted, I centered them on the boards and taped them in place with painter's tape so it would be easy to remove without leaving residue.


Then I used a pencil with a dull tip to trace over the letters, which left the outline of the letters on the board without leaving any pencil lead marks.  You can see it here with the letter "P".


Earlier in the week my husband and I went down to our local hardware store for the paint. We chose the red color from Behr called "Allure" and had them mix a jar of Color Sample-size using Behr Premium Plus interior-exterior paint & primer-in-one.  (I have not been remunerated in any way by Behr for using or mentioning their product in this post.)  I really didn't have to use much of it so I have plenty left over for future use.  Bonus!


After painting all the letters and letting it dry I coated it with modge podge.  That's really not a necessity, but since I knew I would be storing the signs in the attic where they'd get bumped and scratched, I wanted the extra protection.


While all of that dried, I put some greenery and bows on the sled.  I also have a Wardian Case (like a fancy tabletop greenhouse/terrarium) that I put lights in.  I decorated it on the outside with the same greenery and bow as the sled.

Once everything was done, I tipped a plastic 5-gallon bucket upside down, put some heavy-duty fabric over it, and placed the Wardian Case on it to give it the height it needed.

On the left we put these two:


On the right we put these two:


And here is what the finished product looked like:


After it was all said and done, I looked at it and thought to myself:  "Why didn't I paint the letters bigger so they took up the entire board?"  (Insert face-palm here.)  But as I drove by the house, I realized that the letters were placed perfectly high on the board to make it easier to read to those driving by.  Or at least that's my excuse.  Ha!

Maybe next year I'll paint over it and make the letters bigger.  What do you think?  Should I leave the words the size they are or re-do them in a bigger size?  I'd love to hear your opinion!

The message?  May your lives be filled with the Hope and Peace of our Savior!





No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!